General options and how to activate the short domain in ProtonMail
ProtonMail is an encrypted and privacy-focused email solution, which protect users´ messages, personal information, traffic and IP from third parties and vulnerabilities. By using this email provider, fundamental rights of freedom, confidentiality and privacy online are guaranteed from the technical and physical to legal standpoint for every user.
In the same way, ProtonMail integrates advanced setting options and configuration to modify visuals, security, domain, filters, identity, encryption and other aspects. Let´s review the general options in the settings, as well as the Short domain functionality that can be quite useful in many cases, particularly when sharing email addresses.
Managing general options in ProtonMail
ProtonMail includes a great set of categories respecting settings and configuration, so the user has plenty of control over many aspects. In details, the general settings incorporates options regarding messages and shortcuts. Follow the next steps and let´s see the use of these functions:
- The first step as always is to open session. Access the URL https://protonmail.com from your favorite internet browser. Then, click on “Log in” and enter username and password.
- Now that you are logged in, click on the “Settings menu” button from any screen or from the inbox. Then, from the dropdown menu click on the option “Go to settings”.
- Settings should appear with the main menu and categories shown to the left, while options respecting the selected category display to the right.
- Click on the “General” category and scroll down a little bit on the right to manage the Messages and Advanced sub-categories.
- Respecting the Messages sub-category, you can manage functions like: Auto-load remote content, Auto-load embedded images, Keep messages in Sent/Drafts and Link confirmation. Enable or disable any option by clicking on the switch icon and toggle between them.
- The last option respecting Messages is Undo send. Select the time you want the platform gives you to take back sending a message. Choose from 10 to 20 seconds.
- Continuing, the Advanced sub-category includes the option for enabling or disabling keyboard shortcuts. Click on the switch icon and toggle between counting on with keyboard shortcuts or not.
- If you want to take advantage of keyword shortcuts, click on “Show shortcuts” to know them. A pop-up window with a list appears immediately.
Activating the Short domain (@pm.me) in ProtonMail
The General category in the ProtonMail settings includes the interesting sub-category of Short domain. The Short domain function or @pm.me is a special, shorter domain ProtonMail users can utilize to receive messages, and even to send messages (only paid plan subscribers).
For example, if the user´s address is firstname.lastname@example.org the Short domain would be email@example.com, which is faster to write and more convenient. This is how you activate this function:
- In the General category in the Settings, click on “Activate firstname.lastname@example.org”.
- The platform will ask for your password, so enter it and click on “Submit”.
- Select an encryption key option from the list and click on “Submit”.
- Now that the Short domain is enabled, you can use it to send and receive emails. This is how it looks from the composer when sending a new message.